Asbestos is a known carcinogen, which has been linked to fatal lung diseases such as; asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma.
Peak years for manufacturing of building materials containing asbestos were from the 1940’s to the mid 1970’s. In the 1960’s, the harmful effects of the toxicity of asbestos became recognized. Legislative efforts were initiated in the 1970’s to limit the many uses of building products containing asbestos. These building products containing asbestos continued to be utilized in Residential, Commercial and Industrial structures into the 1990’s.
Asbestos containing material (ACM) is not considered harmful unless it is released as dust or fibres into the air, where it can be inhaled or ingested. Fibres become trapped in the mucous membranes of the nose and throat. ACM fibres may also pass deep into the lungs or digestive tract. Once trapped inside the body, the fibres cannot be broken down and can subsequently cause disease.
When ACM are disturbed or disrupted, that is when it is the most hazardous!
Asbestos is mixed with other materials to form building products. Depending on the product, the amount of asbestos in ACM may vary from 1% to 100%.
Asbestos has been used in thousands of products.
Due to the hazards and significant health risks identified, ever increasing regulations are continuously evolving for ACM removal. Only competent, professional, certified workers, utilizing a variety of speciality protective equipment and machinery should engage in abatement of this product.
KMD completes the following Services in respect to Asbestos;
- Hazardous Materials Surveys completed on residential and commercial properties.
- Generation of Laboratory reports of analysis of surveyed materials.
- Abatement of all identified asbestos containing materials.
- Air monitoring throughout the abatement project.
- Client options for pro-active soil sampling, testing, consulting. (Residential Land Development)
- All asbestos waste generated on site removed and disposed via permit to registered landfill in accordance with Alberta Environment and Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- All abatement in compliance with Alberta Workplace Health and Safety and OH&S regulations and carried out by Certified workers.